Thursday, September 29, 2011

I May Be Wrong, But…

1. In my world, Mike Pelfrey has no future on the Mets. If this is true, why would I tender him? Do I really care if he signs elsewhere and gets his act together? He’s not part of my future so why offer him arbitration? Again, in my world, 2012 is going to be another rebuilding year. You’re not going to hear that from Sandy Alderson, but the Mets will not be a pennant contender until the law suits are gone and the young pitchers have arrived. I’d be happy with an opening day rotation of Santana/Young, Niese, Dickey, Gee, Schwinden… and I’d be thrilled if it ended up  Niese, Dickey, Harvey, Mejia, Familia.

2. I see the Mets flew in Brandon Nimmo on Monday and let him have his own press conference. Nimmo said he’s love to play for the Mets right now, but understands he has to go through the minor leagues. Boy, I’m glad we’re not creating a Bryce Harper situation here. Seriously, send the kid home or give him a ticket to Ft. Myers for the Instruction League, but don’t suck his knee caps in CitiField while the rest of your draft picks have to read this shit.

3. Ozzie in South Beach? What a genius idea. I can’t think of anyone that could get those Cubans off their ass and attend a game more than him. How about Ricky Henderson first 3rd base coach.  Let’s throw in Alay Soler for Pitching Coach.  It’s going to interesting to see how the stars on this team react to…  oh yeah, they’re dead last. There are no stars. Keep an eye on this developing situation. There’s definitely going to be some players that aren’t going to want to play for this guy. RHP Javier Vazquez ($7mil), 2B Jose Lopez ($3.6mil), and 3B-1B Greg Dobbs ($600K) are free agents.

4. I see that the 2013 option was picked up for Terry Collins. I’m happy for both him and the team. I have a few friends in the clubhouse, which over years under Jerry and Willie, was not a comfortable place to be. It is now. In fact, the current team would run through a wall for TC. Well, actually, they’d try to and then have a concussion, and then go on the 7-day DL, and then have it extended to 30-days, and…  well, anyway, Collins deserves to see the end result of the rebuilding process which will be over by the end of the 2013 season. Kudos, TC.

5. Mike Silva’s sources say that Dan Warthen will return next season as the Mets pitching coach. I didn’t expect that, but it’s hard to lay all the blame on someone that didn’t draft, sign, or steal the 2011 rotation. What’s important in my world is who becomes the third minor league pitching coach, in the same amount of years. There’s a lot of talent in the pipeline right now and I’d like to see someone like Bobby Ojeda handling these duties. Okay, I’d settle for Frank Viola.

No comments:

Post a Comment