Thursday, June 11, 2009

I'm Omaha-Bound!


The College World Series starts this weekend, and I'm very happy to say that I will be at the 2 games on Saturday. Arkansas faces heavily-favored Cal State Fullerton in the first game, and Virginia takes on LSU in the nightcap.
I'm sure LHP Dallas Keuchel will start for the Razorbacks, but Fullerton made a surprising announcement that freshman RHP Noe Ramirez will get the ball in Game 1. I actually kind of like this move. Ramirez is normally the Titans' #2 man, but they are playing to win it all, so they'll save ace righty Daniel Renken, a sophomore, for a heavier-hitting lineup. Ramirez has been brilliant over the last two months anyway, so I don't foresee this strategy backfiring. The big story for Fullerton will be whether or not they can keep their run-and-gun offense clicking like it has been recently.
Virginia-LSU might be an even more exciting matchup. LSU was my pick to win it all at the outset of the tournament (one of many worthy candidates), while Virginia has stunned the college baseball world by knocking off teams like UC Irvine, San Diego State, and Ole Miss to reach Omaha. The Cavaliers are extremely talented, but many of their stars are freshmen or sophomores, so their success is a bit ahead of schedule. Look for UVa. to go with dynamic Fr. LHP Danny Hultzen in Game 1. The Tigers could start either Anthony Ranaudo or Louis Coleman. It should be a pair of great games; I can't wait!
*Photo courtesy of www.dawgsports.com

No comments:

Post a Comment